cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Renaming & Importing Solidworks files into Windchill

TL_10036246
5-Regular Member

Renaming & Importing Solidworks files into Windchill

I have a need to import a Solidworks library into Windchilll.

My issues are that the library is stored in a Windows folder structure and it is also large. 3500+ prt/asm/drw files. Also, the file names are long and many contain invalid characters for Windchill.

I can resolve the file names with Excel and a command prompt easy enough, but if I change file names outside Solidworks or Windchill, then I break references in the Solidworks assemblies.

What is the best way to go about this migration? Is there a tool or combinations of tools to do things like this?

4 REPLIES 4
Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:TL_10036246)

Hi,

Use "Import to Workspace" first and it will give you all the discrepancies. you can easily "Rename" Long names in bulk in that Workspace itself , thus the CAD linkages are preserved too, because , when you start the "Import to WOrkspace" wizard, Windchill captures the linkages and then renaming is within the control of Windchill.

This should work in all considerations!

Let us know!
Cheers

Hari

TL_10036246
5-Regular Member
(To:Hari_Vara)

As I said, there are over 3500 files in this folder. I can use Excel to semi automate the renaming process for each one. Having to do that one by one in a Windchill "Import to Workspace" interface is going to be too time consuming.

Creo allows you to edit family tables through excel. It would be nice if Windchill allowed you to export large operations like an import or even mass name changes from within windchill to an excel spreadsheet in the same way.

I did this in phases a while back. I am no SolidWorks expert but I believe its similar to Creo except I believe SolidWorks remembers folder paths of dependent files. I first loaded all parts into Windchill, the assemblies then drawings. Check your progress along the way with the publisher to make sure it comes out right. You should be able to get the majority in. If you run into an issue, skip it and move on. Add them to a nasty list to be done later.

Hi  @TL_10036246 

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Regards,

Anurag 

Top Tags